Ingredients: makes 16
- 1 pkt mini-pasty pastry rounds/ 16 x 10cm rounds of filo pastry
- 2 skinless sausages
- a handful of mixed chopped vegetable (as you wish – whatever you have to hand)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- pinch Chinese 5 spice powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- blend the sausages, veg, soy, 5 spice and sesame oil with a hand blender – not too wet
- lay out the pastry circles
- place approx ¾ teaspoon of mixture in the centre of each round
- pinch closed like an old fashioned purse
- gently drop into a deep-fat fryer
- fry until golden and floating
- strain & drain
- serve with sweet chilli sauce for dipping – I use shop bought because I’m lazy!
- can be frozen before frying
I experimented making them fuller as you will see from the photos – it’s ok but hard to get them to seal well, hence only 12 in the plated picture.
You can double the mixture and make some delicious Chinese burgers
WARNING NOTE: If like me you are a complete idiot and intend to deep-fry in an open pan over gas, NEVER leave it unattended, let NOTHING distract you and KEEP one finger on the flame control AT ALL TIMES – FIRST SIGN of a splash – SHUT OFF THE GAS!!! Always turn off the gas before lifting the food from the pan. Please be careful!
Download/print the recipe here: Deep-Fried Wan-Ton with Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce