This is how to make perfect egg-fried rice – a little labour intensive but well worth the trouble.
- 2 cups of long grain rice (remember it doubles in volume when cooked
- 4 large eggs
- Tomato sauce
- Sambal Olek (Malay chilli sauce)
- Ground ginger
- Soy sauce
- Boil the rice in twice its volume of water.
- when cooked, rinse well under cold running water and reserve
- mix 3 table spoons of tomato sauce with one dessert spoon of Sambal Olek, add the ginger & soy sauce
- beat the eggs
- Toss the rice in a dry wok to remove all excess moisture _ I usually do this in 2 batches
- Clean the wok and heat with a little oil and when hot add ½ the sauce mixture
- add ½ the rice and stir-fry making sure all the rice is coated
- reserve the rice to one side
- add ½ the beaten eggs and fry, breaking up the egg into small pieces
- return the rice to the wok and mix well with the egg
- repeat the process with the rest of the rice
- serve or store/freeze for later
This is a bit laborious but you are guaranteed delicious non-sticky rice every time!